Thursday, June 29, 2006

Reunion Trip Day 4

Thursday, 2:30 p.m. I’m sitting here in the shade at a picnic table by a pond at Cabela’s in Sidney, Nebraska. Sadly, there’s a lot of duck waste product around, and Nick was really good at finding the fresh stuff. We all did a little shopping here this morning. Nick got the sword that he needs for Search and Rescue. It’s a knife with a 7-inch blade. They tell me it’s a K-Bar. Please pray that he won’t hurt himself or anyone else. I don’t understand why, but he thinks it is really, really cool. We found a shady place to have lunch and then came back because Will hadn’t had enough time to wonder around and look at everything. He didn’t really like having all of us right on his heels after we were done. So I came here with the laptop, Eric wandered off with his phone to do his boyfriendly duties, and Nick has been back and forth from here to the store.
As we were driving down the road this morning, I said, “Boys, look at the little Lincoln Memorial over there.” Will said, “It’s not little. Why do your call everything little?” I didn’t know I did. “Little means small and inconsequential. You call everything little, and its starting to get a little irritating.” That’s one of the things I love about this man, the honest communication. To think all this time I have been going around with this extremely annoying little speech habit, and no one ever told me. I apologized and vowed to change. Soon after, we encountered a briefly perilous little traffic situation, and Will said, “We could have been killed, or even worse!” (One of his favorite sayings after times of danger.) I replied, “That would have been quite a little tragedy!” Then I quietly laughed uncontrollably for awhile. Little Nick wanted to know what I was laughing about. Will said it was our own private little joke. I have been noticing since then that I am not the only one who over uses that little word. It's a little hard to break a little habit like that, but I'll do my best. But it will probably take a little while.

No comments: