Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Brent

I want to tell you about a very special young man whom I hope you will all keep in your prayers during the coming year. He is in the US Army and was recently deployed to Iraq.

I first met Brent when his parents came over for dinner soon after they started attending our church, probably about 1989. I think he was about two years old. They hadn’t been at our house very long before he threw up on my lovely brown plaid couch. He seemed to feel better, but before long, he threw up again on his mother’s lap. I loaned her my favorite sweatpants (teal colored) since she was/is way skinnier than me and nothing else would fit. We had dinner, but when he threw up a third time, they decided it would be okay to eat and run! (I think we’ve since concluded that it was his dad’s fault for feeding him too many hot dogs for lunch!)

Our families became very good friends over the years in spite of that inauspicious beginning, and Brent grew up to be a wonderful role model to younger kids. We camped with them many times, and Brent always treated our Nick with such kindness and respect, almost as an equal instead of as a little kid five years younger. Brent was always great at entertaining the younger kids without acting like it was an imposition. Nick has always admired and looked up to him so much. It was after going to Brent’s graduation from the Search and Rescue Academy about four years ago that Nick set his heart on doing the same thing as soon as he was old enough, and he met that goal this summer.

I love this picture I took of Brent with his sister and other admirers when our families were camping at the Metolius River with a group of friends last July, just before Brent left for boot camp. He then was sent to German for a year. One day in April I was working as usual in the office at school when a young man walked in who looked strangely familiar. Brent, looking so grown up, was home on a “surprise” visit to his family and wanted to take his sister out to lunch. When he brought her back we chatted for a bit. At the time he was expecting to leave for Iraq soon, and before he left he gave me a hug and told me he would be in church Sunday in uniform. I was glad it was time for me to leave for lunch because I couldn’t keep the tears from coming. The next Sunday was Easter, and our church was holding Easter services at the Linn County Fairgrounds. The last time I was there was for Tyler’s funeral, and I knew if I went there Sunday and saw Brent in uniform, soon to head for Iraq, I would need more Kleenexes than I could carry in my medium size purse. So we went to Jody and Kevin’s church on Easter morning. I wish I would have had the fortitude to go, because I missed hearing Brent’s parents sharing before the congregation about trusting God in uncertain times.

Brent was busy with friends and family while he was home, but Nick hadn’t had a chance to see him, so he took the time to come by the school and take his sister and Nick out to lunch another day. Nick loved it, and I hope Brent knows how much that meant to him.

So now we have the opportunity to trust God in uncertain times. I know that God loves Brent and has great things planned for him, and that through these experiences he can grow to a depth of spiritual maturity that can only come through difficult times. His mother told me she is praying for his health and safety, that he will have wisdom, and that God will use him to impact others around him. He e-mailed his mom that he can feel the prayers of people and feels a sense of peace and calmness. So join your prayers with ours and if you want to write him a note to let him know he’s in your thoughts and prayers, here’s his address. We all love you and are so proud of you, Brent!

PFC Brent Riley
Task Force 1-26 Infantry
APO AE 09390

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LeAnn, Please let his parents and Brent know that we will be praying for his safe return and also for peace for the parents. Thanks, Dave