Monday, August 14, 2006

Motherhood and Matrimony

Once again I am enjoying the blessings of motherhood and matrimony. Nick had a great week at camp but was very happy to be home. He came downstairs and told me their toilet was dirty so he cleaned it. Wow. A little later he heard me screaming and came running down the stairs to help me, still buttoning his pants. He was a bit surprised to find all the commotion had been caused by my efforts to kill an enormous spider that didn't want to die. It was just he and I Saturday night, and he suggested we hang out and watch a movie. So we went to the nice new Carmike theater in Corvallis. We shared a container of buttery popcorn, and I helpfully opened up a couple of napkins and put them on his lap so his pants wouldn't get greasy. I told him I was setting the standard for future girlfriends. If he takes a girl to the movies, he'll know she's the one if she makes sure he has napkins protecting his clothes. He said, "No, Mom, if I'm at the movies with napkins spread all over me, I'll know I'm with my mom." He enjoyed the movie more than I did. I don't know why I went to see Pirates of the Caribeean. There are way to many slimy ugly creatures that I can't bear to look at.

Sunday morning I let him drive to church even though we didn't have any extra minutes to spare. He tries to be careful not to speed and tends to slow down occasionally. When I'm running late, I find it a bit frustrating to be going less than the speed limit. By the time we turned onto Geary just before getting to church and were creeping down the road at 22 mph in the 25 mph speed zone, I couldn't control myself any more. I told him just this once I wanted him to go five minutes over the speed limit. He thought that was quite funny. "Are you sure you want me to go five minutes over the speed limit?" Yes just this once. Get me to church! "Five minutes, huh?" Oh you know what I mean! I must learn to curb my impatience.

The Troyer family that was available came over Sunday night for a sub sandwich picnic on our deck with blackberry cobbler for dessert. A lovely evening. Will got home in time to host this event. Good thing because he had to run Nick to town for a Search and Rescue callout about 8:00 pm. Nick got to take a fast hike up Iron Mountain to help bring down an older lady who had fallen and injured her ankle. I woke up at 1:30 am to my cell phone ringing the "restricted call" ring (a very nasty jarring sound). I thought it was Will's phone because I don't usually have my phone in the bedroom. We had quite an argument as I kept telling him to answer his phone and he kept saying his phone wasn't ringing. So by the time we figured it out, I missed the call and thought it was very odd because I assumed Nick would use his cell phone and call Will's cell when he returned. Soon I heard the faint ring of the house phone and leaped up again. Poor Nick said he had been trying to call for a half hour and calls were not going through to either my phone or Will's, and we didn't hear the house phone (the ringer was turned off in our room). Nick was so tired he fell onto the couch and slept there until 2:30 this afternoon. In addition to his busy night, I guess he had a bit of sleep to catch up on from camp.

Overheard, Nick to Will while watching Sci Fi: "Does cauterize mean removing your man parts?"

2 comments:

SAHM said...

I have a picture on my dig. camera of NIck preparing for his exciting rescue adventure. Doug and I decided that he had to be exciting for all the rest of us! Cauterizing sounds so much like castration, it's easy to see how one could get confused. :)

MacNana said...

Email me the picture! I am eagerly awaiting updates on your blog!