Sunday, February 04, 2007

Pinochle

Last night was our turn to host the monthly pinochle group which we have been a part of for more years than I can remember. You'd think after hosting it every eight months all this time, I'd have it all figured out. A couple of years ago, we were about to play when someone asked, "No table treats tonight?" The host always provides dishes of candy/nuts at each table. I had completely forgotten. Will drove down to Cenex and paid a great deal more for a great deal less than we would normally have! So I figured I would certainly never forget that again.

Last night about an hour before the guests were to arrive, Will asked, "Did you get table treats?" For a chocolate lover like myself, you'd think that would be the highlight of the evening! How could I have possibly forgotten again! At least there was time for Will to run in to Fred Meyer. Sadly, he was somewhat harassed for his selection, as guests were already here when he returned bearing treats. I had told him to get nuts, chocolate candy, and jelly beans but not normal jelly beans, just the special ones. He came back with Life Saver jelly beans, Starburst jelly beans, and Jelly Bellies! Also a few other items, but nothing that I normally get. But it's good not to be stuck in a routine! At least last night my coffee pot didn't overflow and make a mess like it did, not once but twice during a previous pinochle party. The only other near disaster was after someone put a pizza ifrom Costco in the oven. (We have a snack break after two rounds of four hands.) I smelled something burning, so I came and checked on the pizza. It was still on the cardboard! The person who brought it said, "Well, when you buy them at Papa Murphy's you bake them on the cardboard!" Anyway, we rescued it before the cardboard really started burning. The food was great, the people are fun, and Will won prize. How could an evening be any better!

I guess playing with your Envy at the same time can make it even better. I hear my brother Doug was quite prolific with his text messaging yesterday. Will claims to dislike Pinochle because his parents forced his sister and him to play it as a family activity. However, judging from the amount of laughter emanating from his table, he manages to have a good time anyway.

1 comment:

SAHM said...

I recently discovered Pinochle on "Pogo". I enjoy it, but am quite sure I wouldn't do nearly as well without the computer calculating the melds for me. I also learned cribbage, euchre, and my favorite, canasta.