Saturday, October 20, 2007

Embarrassing Parents

Why is it so fun to embarrass your teenager? Last night Nick came in the front door after the football game to find me in my jammies, big fluffy robe and slippers getting comfey on the couch as Will and I prepared to watch a movie. Nick's overnight guest Derek was due to arrive any minute. After questioning us about what we were doing, Nick graciously offered to hook up a Dvd player in our bedroom so we could watch the movie there. We took him up on the offer so he quickly installed one there. He came back downstairs announcing we could go on up. Sadly for him, we were quite comfortable and decided to stay downstairs to watch the movie. "But you don't want Derek to see you like that do you?" Just tell him to look the other way when he passes through!

Then today they were playing video games when I came downstairs after making an exciting discovery. While trying to find some pants to wear, I found a neatly folded a pair of jeans that I didn't recall ever seeing before. Obviously used jeans, but quite nice. And believe it or not, they fit me. They even fit me quite well. I was somewhat pleased when I looked in the mirror. That doesn't happen very often.

So I came downstairs and asked Will if he recalled putting any jeans on my shelf, like perhaps he had actually folded some laundry once and this pair of jeans was in there? He said no, they probably belonged to his girlfriend. Except his girlfriend is quite a bit heavier than I am. "Quite a bit uglier too, I assume?" I asked. Oh yes, he assured me. "Is she also a lot dumber than I am?" That gave him pause. He looked to Nick and Derek for help. "Boys, what do I say now?" Derek advised him it was time to eat a Twix bar. Nick urged us to make a house rule that mom and dad are not allowed to talk when he has friends over.

So it was fun embarrassing him, but I was quite mystified about the jeans. Had I accidentally packed a pair that belonged to one of my roommates from women's retreat two weeks ago? How does a pair of jeans just show up in your closet, under all your other jeans?

After a few hours of reflection, I believe I recall that there was a pair of jeans in a bag of clothes that my sister-in-law Carol gave me last spring. They were a little tight at the time. I thought I gave them back, but apparently I kept them.

It's a great day!

It really is a shame that I would enjoy embarrassing a nice boy like Nick. Especially after he gave me a proud parent moment last week. He was standing at the front counter at our school office one day when an assistant doing bus duty came in. "Nick, I'm so glad to see you! There's a dead bird outside. Could you please find a broom and dust pan and pick it up for me?" Nick did not grimace, didn't groan, or in any way display how he truly felt. He cheerfully asked where he could find a broom. I directed him, he picked up the disgusting carcass and disposed of it. Way to be a hero Nick! That is true school service!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i also enjoy doing that to the youthful giant as well. douglas

Ronda said...

Way to go!!
I am looking forward to that day with Landon!