Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Monday at the Oregon Coast

Monday was a holiday (MLK Jr. Day) for we public employees. Although there was a weather alert warning of extreme temperatures in Western Oregon, we braved the elements and rode comfortably in Will's Duramax pickup truck out to the coast. We had an early lunch at Mo's in Newport, with our choice of window seats. Then we headed south, enjoying the gorgeous sunshine and deep blue of the sea.
In spite of the freezing temperatures, not to mention the deadly wind chill which had to put the temperature at least in the 20s, we left the warmth of the truck and followed a trail along the hillside at Cape Perpetua. I had hoped to walk on the beach, but the wind being what it was, this was a much better alternative.
As we were leaving, we noticed a campground on the other side of the highway. We went to check it out and found that it was closed, but we headed on up the hill to the day use area. What a great place for a picnic if only it was warmer! There were some more trails to walk. The signs said you could see 70 miles up and down the coast and 35 miles out to sea.
And what a wonderful stone shelter! Look at the handsome man I found inside!
He wanted a picture of me.
He made me get back in the truck and travel on down the road. Here is the Heceta Head Lighthouse. It looks a lot better on my full computer screen.
When we were discussing how to spend our day off, I suggested either painting our bedroom or going to the coast. Will wisely pointed out that we hadn't yet decided what color to paint the bedroom. I'm so glad he was able to eliminate that option! The peanut butter pie I had at Mo's in Florence before we headed back was a fabulous finale to a gorgeous day at the coast!

1 comment:

Ellen said...

Once when I was at that stone house at Cape Perpetua, a model in long, white flowing dress was being professionally photographed--near sunset, if I recall. Another time there was a wedding about to start. It's indeed one of my favorite places at the Oregon coast!