Sunday, January 27, 2008

What is More Important, Meat or Good Manners?

As I previously mentioned, Will is away at a training in Baker City. After I read the following email which he sent me this evening, I immediately called and received his permission to share it here so you could all commiserate with his misfortunes.

Will wrote: "I went to the restaurant and ordered a Prime Rib, I even asked for an end cut. The waitress was very late getting to me and it appears there was some confusion about whose section I was in. The girl that drew the short straw most likely has not been working very long so when I asked for an end cut she asked me how I wanted it. Now that should have been a clue right there. I told her as best I could if a guy asks for an end cut he probably doesn’t want it rare. I did this in the most polite of ways because you people tell me I intimidate others.

Well she came back with a steak and told me they didn’t have end cuts for that kind of meat, and then asked me if I wanted any steak sauce. Oh boy do you suppose there is going to be something wrong with the order. I told her in the most polite way I could I didn’t think many people use steak sauce on prime rib. Then she told me she thought I ordered a rib eye. I am beginning to forget the polite ways to tell waitresses that I have never heard a person ask for an end cut on a rib eye. I didn’t fall for the temptation however. I just stared at her like she must have been raised in a vacuum and never allowed to get out.

Well you would be proud of me, my politeness paid off. I didn’t get thrown out of the restaurant and got 20% off the meal. She told me it was not her night. No kidding it was not her night. It is still snowing and I still haven’t had prime rib, but I am full and warm and dry. What else could matter? I wonder if I could have gotten the steak for free if I had intimidated and shouted and made a scene. "

Well, when I read this I got to laughing pretty hard. I'm still recovering from severe bronchial congestion, so laughing leads to some very peculiar wheezing sounds. Eric and Nick laugh at me every time I laugh. Well, this time the wheezing sounds I was making were so funny I just couldn't stop laughing. I'm just glad no one recorded the strange wheezing, shrieking laughing that I just couldn't stop for a long time! But I have wiped my eyes and am all better now. When I called Will he thought my cough still sounded bad. I had to tell him I was only coughing as a result of laughing so much.

I miss you Will, but I'm glad you're not here right now to see the huge scrapbooking mess I have already made! I better go tidy up a bit....

...Now I'm back. I went downstairs and Nick said he'd hadn't heard me laugh for awhile. I let out a nearly soundless wheezing laugh that went on and on, and he got to laughing so hard he fell to the floor. We had another good long laugh. My stomach hurts and my cough is worse. I have to avoid Nick and not read any more emails from Will if I want to get better!

No comments: