Thursday, March 21, 2013

PJ Day

I wore pajamas to work today. Every year, the middle school where I work has "Spirit Week" with different dress themes each day. I have never participated in PJ Day before, feeling that I needed to maintain a slightly more professional look. But as I get older, dignity seems less important. Oh, who am I kidding. Never before have I had such a cool pair of PJs as I found recently on the clearance rack at Fred Meyer for less than $10. (Just in time for women's retreat I might add!) So I talked the other girls in the office into wearing PJs, and with varying amounts of enthusiasm, they complied. (I'm too polite to share the group picture though. Some of them still care about their dignity!)

A friend was planning to pick me up for lunch. I gleefully plotted to have the jammies on over some real clothing and pretend to be oblivious, but take off the outer layer before actually going into Applebee's. Well, it was a crazy busy work day, and I ended up having to choose between being really late or going as I was. We walked into Applebee's and she immediately told the hostess that she had just checked me out for lunch. And of course, three other friends soon walked in together and while I ducked down to hide, she waved them on over. After lunch, I had to run into Safeway to get something for work. I told myself that my hip length raincoat would hide the PJs. But I caught a glimpse of myself in the glass door. What a pathetic looking woman.

It was great coming home and already having my pjs on. I had worked late and we ate dinner as soon as I got home. I wanted to go out for a quick walk before darkness descended, and I contemplated putting a jacket on over the jammies and heading out. But I do have a little pride left. I just couldn't do it! I had to change into some sweats.

If I ever end up going out to lunch in my PJs again, I'm going to the Subway at Walmart. Pretty sure I'd feel more comfortable there!

1 comment:

Ronda said...

You look fabulous!!!!