Sunday, March 10, 2013

State Basketball Playoffs Weekend

I could get used to working a half day and spending the other half hanging out with family and watching a great-niece play basketball! That's what I did Thursday and Friday when my niece Dawn's daughter was playing in the girl's state championships in Eugene for the Hermiston Bulldogs. Here's the family that made it Thursday: Top left: my great-nephews Brenden and Simon, brother Doug, two friends of family, and Tavin's dad Kevin. Next row: Tavin's grandpa and my brother Galen, my nephew Cody, Tavin's grandma Carol, Dawn's sister Jody, Dawn. Bottom row: My nephew Chavon, me, Jamison and his mom/my sister Jean holding sleeping daughter Serena, (yes, Jean bravely brought four children to the game! And they were great!)  The two crazy girls on the end are Dawn's Lucy and Jody's Jenna.  All in good fun. Will was across the stadium practicing with his wonderful new telephoto lens.
Lucy and Jenna spent most of the game entertaining Jamison.  I spent a great deal of the gam answering Chavon's questions. He is a very curious child. ("Is the person sweeping the floor a boy or a girl?"That was a tough one requiring considerable observation before I could answer!)
 Tavin is just a sophomore this year, and it's already her second trip to state. She got more playing time this year than last. They won their Thursday game.
 
Toward the end of the game, Lucy and Jenna decided to wear their hoodies backwards. Later when we were at Five Guys Burgers for dinner, Will helpfully told them their hoods would be a great place to store their leftover fries.
 Serena conked out toward the end of the game and did not wake up through brother Jamison's attempts to climb on her while on her mother's lap or while being passed from Jean to me to Doug.
These boys were definitely wide awake.
Day two against Springfield was interesting. Despite fighting hard, Hermiston lost this one.
 But Tavin was still smiling after the game. I love this picture of this beautiful girl with her proud grandpa!
 Will had a little trouble getting a group picture with his telephoto lens at such close quarters. That's my hair on the right!
Day three, they played for third or fifth against Corvallis.  The Hermiston girls won handily 52-39, although there were some tense moments in the third quarter when Corvallis was trying to make a comeback. I had to agree with Carol when she said, "I just want to get this over with while we're ahead!" (Grandmas take these things very seriously!)

I just have to share this one. One of Tavin's teammates grabbed a rebound and put it back up for two points....for the other team! I missed the action because I was taking pictures of Tavin at the time! I hope the dear girl has a good sense of humor!

 Here's the team photo with their third place trophy.
And here is Tavin with the team trophy! 
It was really fun to share the time with family and watch Tavin play ball. I hope to catch more games next year. Coming up next are little Jenna's games!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for doing such a great job with all your posts! Maybe you should be a writer! :) Carol