Friday, November 10, 2006

A Day Off

What a luxury, a day off. As usual, things didn't go quite as I planned. I visualized many hours of scrapbooking time. I got none. A few household tasks in the morning, then I had lunch with Craig, Molly and Eric at Izzy's. Craig and I went to the post office, and as I pulled out of the parking lot, I made a right turn. A pedestrian on the sidewalk started waving and shouting at me, and I caught on right away. I was going the wrong way on a one way street. (Well, I usually go to the Tangent Post Office.) It's only one-way for a block so I sped up and turned off quickly. Craig was sputtering a bit and said, "Mom, I don't know how you survive." I said, "It's only because God watches over me."

So I got rid of Craig and went to Fred Meyer. Sadly, I couldn't find my shopping list. I called Nick at home to see if it was on the kitchen counter. No. Fortunately, in my coat pocket I found the list I made earlier this week and couldn't find on that trip, so I still needed many of the things on that list. Things just work out for me that way sometimes. I had a few phone calls while in the store, so I wasn't as focused on shopping as I could have been. This became apparent after I got home and was putting away groceries. I realized I bought things to make two desserts for my guests tomorrow night. A little scary. Now I have to decide which one.

My friend RuthAnn wanted to meet for coffee and the timing was perfect. On the way there, I picked up Nick's Search and Rescue uniform pants at the dry cleaners for the parade tomorrow. They had a big ink spot and lots of ink scribbles on the rear end. It ended up being just one medium size ink spot. Fortunately it will be raining and he will wear a Goretex jacket so no one will see his rear end. Anyway, that made me realize I had forgotten the main thing I went to the store for, spray starch for ironing his uniform. I haven't starched anything in years. They still sell several varieties though. So after coffee, I had to journey to the other side of town again through the pouring rain, driving around the Fred Meyer parking lot several times to try to get a spot within a mile of the door.

By the time I finally got home, it was time to make dinner. The day off was over! Will was looking over Nick's pants, and he said, "What's this bag?" Patiently and kindly, I said, "It's a dry cleaning bag." Offended, he said, "I know what a dry cleaning bag is. What is this bag?" There was a small white paper bag attached. I hadn't noticed it. He opened the bag. Inside was an ink pen from Sportsman's Warehouse that had apparently been in Nick's pants pocket. It was covered in ink and obviously unusable. But how kind of them to return it to us.

Which reminds me, I need to get his uniform shirt starched and ironed, but I won't have to worry about getting it just perfect since it will most likely be pouring rain the whole time. I'll try to get a picture!

No comments: