Sunday, November 12, 2006

This Rainy Weekend

The Veteran's Day Parade yesterday started out very promising, with the sun peeking through the clouds. However, it soon started sprinkling, and soon the down pour began. Will and I were there together for the first time in our 23 years of marriage. Will, of course, was wearing Proper Rain Gear. I had a warm coat, a blanket, and umbrella. By the time the Search and Rescue group marched in front of us, they were thoroughly soaked. By the time I got done chasing them down the street to get pictures, I was also soaked. Will remained dry and comfortable on his chair in his Proper Rain Gear. The kids chose not to wear their Goretex jackets. I'm so glad I starched and ironed Nick's shirt and pants, it makes such a difference when they're soaked through! Surprisingly, he said it was a lot of fun. That's wouldn't be how I would describe this picture.

Today Will took off to go have some adventure after church. I took Nick, Eric and Nick's friend Jake down the road to A&W for lunch. The line was long. I hate long lines. But I patiently waited. Some friends from church were there in line ahead of us. When I finally got second in line, I noticed a sign that said their debit/credit machine wasn't working. I asked if they take checks. No. I hadn't enough cash to feed this mob. I asked Eric to place to order while I ran over to an ATM on the other side of the store to get cash. I looked for my debit card. Not there. Then I remembered I had put it and my license in a fanny pack with my camera to go to the parade. It was at my house. I ran back over to the line where Eric had started to place our order and apologetically canceled it. I explained my predicament to my children and we got in the car to go home. As I was backing up, my friend came running out of the restaurant, ordering me back in because she had money to lend! (Thank you, Cindy!) I got back at the end of the long line, got her cash, wrote her a check, and patiently waited my turn. So God was watching out for me once again.

And I'm a little jealous of the power of a teenage girl. A cold wind is blowing and the rain is pouring down again this afternoon. Nick would probably balk at going outside to empty the garbage or get the paper for me. But he and his friend are begging to walk a mile to go over to a teenage girl's house. What is the deal with that?

No comments: