Sunday, November 05, 2006

Dirt vs. Decor

Yesterday I was preparing to host a "moving out shower" for my neice Brittany. Back in the distant past, this would have involved intense scrubbing and cleaning all day long. But yesterday, I preferred to shop, bake and put together a family recipe book for Brittany. (By the way, family, send me more of your favorite recipes please! I have some great ones so far and I may share them with all of you!) When I was shopping, I noticed many fall decor items on sale. I was first attracted by the "Buy 2, get 1 free" on the big florist mums. Three of those went in my cart. Then it occurred to me that if my house wasn't especially clean, people might be less likely to notice if there were seasonal decorations around. Besides, they could do double duty, both as decorations and gifts! Sadly, I failed to take very many pictures while people were here to show the cheerful effect, but this shows a bit of it. I even dashed out in the rain to gather some colorful leaves for an arrangement. Notice the new tablecloth on the dining table in the background and the blooming yellow mum centerpiece. You can't see the leaf design on the tablecloth, but I assure you, it speaks of autumn. McKenna, Dave, Brittany and roommate Angela. Dave understood my request for recipes to mean that he should prepare and bring the prepared recipe, so we got to enjoy his delicious baked beans as well as my pumpkin pie.

When I downloaded pictures, I realized I forgot to post about Halloween. Nick wanted to go out with a friend and scare small children, but of course Will forbade it, muttering something about "criminal mischief". So the boys went to Plan B and scared children as they came up our driveway. They put on masks and sat in my car, which Nick had carefully backed up. One little girl was so frightened she wouldn't walk back to the sidewalk until her mother came up to the porch to walk her back. Most of the other kids just laughed.
That's my cute little masked Nick!

No comments: