Saturday, January 26, 2013

Hope Day 14 - Maui Day 8

I haven't been able to connect with Hope for a few days, but got good news when I talked to my sister Jean today (Friday) (as I lounged on the beach with the 80 degree sunshine upon me!) Yesterday Hope walked down the hall with the aid of a special walker, and she sat for a couple of hours in the wheelchair. Today she was moved from the hospital to rehab, so she will be working really hard at regaining her strength and abilities to move.

She still has annoying numbness in her arms, but it continues to get better. Her fingers are still not moving much either. She has made huge progress in the past week. Jean said the best part of being with her last night was hearing her laugh.

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God, I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." (Isaiah 41:10)

We have had a few challenges of our own here this week, but we adapt and adjust, enjoying the beauty and the sunshine around us. Today as we were blissfully heading down the road in the convertible, suddenly out of nowhere, a small creature leaped onto my lap. A gecko, about 4 inches long, bounced from one of my legs to the other before falling to the floorboard and rapidly disappearing under the dash. Times like this make me so thankful that my husband remains calm and unflappable at all times, even with a screaming flailing woman in the front seat.

"That poor gecko probably hasn't had to move so fast in the past 30 years," he remarked, as I sat trembling with my feet up on the seat. Talk about misplaced sympathies. I do not like any type of wild little creatures much at all, and I am especially displeased when they surprise me. I imagine the delight of my own boys and many other creature-loving people on this earth were they to be suddenly blessed with a gecko on their lap, and I sincerely wish i could transfer the experience to them!  I eventually allowed my feet back on the floor, but had to jerk them up suddenly a few times when I thought I felt little feet on mine. Good grief.

Tomorrow is our last full day on Maui:( I look forward to my early morning run and am planning a special treat. About 1 1/2 miles down on a path behind the ritzy hotels is an ocean-front Starbucks. I am going to get a latte and find a nice spot to sit and look at the ocean as I drink it before I turn back. One of life's small pleasures.
This is how the morning looked today as I started toward the beach. I'm loving it!




No comments: