Tuesday, January 01, 2013

Yes, I Have!

Today I got an email from my friend Jason Jacobs, Runkeeper CEO, with the subject line, "Have you set a goal for 2013 yet?" (Runkeeper is the app I used to track my walking/running mileage this past year.)  He confided that he proudly set his 2013 goal to run 1500 miles (gulp).  He gave me very detailed directions on how I could set my goal on Runkeeper as well. I'm not proud enough to aim for anything close to 1500 miles, but I clicked the link, only to find the website was down for scheduled maintenance! Oh well, it gave me a little time to think about what running goal I should set.

Last year, Runkeeper tells me that I ran/walked 537 miles. I didn't track any treadmill or eliptical miles, which I did regularly last winter during bad weather, so I don't have any idea what that total would be. This winter, I prefer running in weather to the machines, unless it's really windy and downpouring at the same time.

So my plan this year is to continue what I'm currently doing, which is Zumba and strength training classes 2 days a week and running at least 30 minutes at least 4 days a week. So with that in mind, I did a few math calculations and humbly set my goal for 700 miles in 2013. The cool thing about the Runkeeper app is that it tell your progress toward your goal. Looking at it now, it shows a graph and says 5/700 miles, 1%.  So that should be fun.

I would also like to increase my pace and be running 3 miles in 30 minutes by the end of next year. Right now I'm averaging about 2.6 miles in 30 minutes, and a 10 minute mile seems like a pretty fast pace to this old gal when I do it for shorter distances! But I'll try. I don't have any desire to get into long distance running, I just want to run for fitness but minimize the risk of injury and wear and tear on the old joints.

And for goal number 3, I thought it might be good to do one 10K event this year. I haven't really had any desire to participate in any events because I like running alone. But it wouldn't it be fun to do one in Hawaii. A Google search revealed the Maui Oceanfront Marathon with 5K, 10K and 15K options taking place January 20, when I just happen to be vacationing there! I invited Will to join me but he preferred to just support me! I was going to sign up for the 10K, but I read that the 15K was the most beautiful part of the course. That's 9.3 miles. Well, I ran 5 miles this morning, and it was pretty easy. I may not be able to run 9.3 miles 19 days from now, but I'm sure I can do a combination of running and walking it. I signed up real quick before I could talk myself out of it. I'll start increasing my distance and we'll see how I do!

The run is all on asphalt with the ocean on my left and the West Maui Mountains on my right. I am very excited!

And how sweet is this, I already got an email from the Runkeeper Team congratulating me for taking the first step and setting a goal. "You can do this! We believe in you!" they wrote. It's so nice to have pals like the Runkeeper Team!

Here's wishing you success in your goals for 2013, and may we all do something each day to improve our health and fitness in every area of our life!

No comments: