Sunday, January 13, 2013

Hope Day 2

My sister Hope is an amazing woman of God.

My brother Dave, his daughter Brittany and I arrived the hospital just after she went into surgery this morning. Mom and Jean got to see her before the surgery. With Brian's brother Ron and wife Louise, we waited together as the hours passed. With no little children to liven up the waiting, the three hours passed slowly!

The doctor finally came out and reported surgery went as well as expected. A disc was shattered but her bones were in good shape They removed a plug from her hip and used it to patch her up somehow, I don't begin to understand how these things work. They also inserted a metal plate with two screws.

We had some lunch while we waited for her to get out of recovery, which finally happened a little after 4:00. By that time the crowd had swelled, with her family and several families from her church there as well. I tried to count but there was too much activity. There were about 30 adults and more than 10 children.

When the doctor spoke to Brian after she was settled back in her room, he said everyone could come back to sing a couple of songs for her. (I think she heard some music earlier that day and was happy to think that people were there singing for her. I haven't verified if that's a true story.) Even when told there were over 40 people out there, they said everyone could come back. We family went in her room and more extended family and church people stood in the hall outside her room and sang "All the Way My Savior Leads Me," "It is Well With My Soul" and maybe another song that I can't remember because I may have gotten a little emotional. It was pretty awesome and she obviously enjoyed every minute.

She looked absolutely beautiful (even though she was wearing her glasses! We both hate to be seen in our glasses!) The inner beauty that is so evident in her shines through and I don't think her smile ever left her face. It was great to see her propped up instead of flat on her back, and able to turn her head side to side instead of holding it straight like yesterday. She demonstrated how well she could move her feet, legs and arms - oops, as she held her arm straight up, suddenly it flopped down to hit her. She laughed and said, "Maybe I don't have as much control yet as I thought!"  (Once swelling goes down, the doctor expects her to regain control.)

She made me laugh when she smirked at me, "Guess what, they took out part of my hip." Like, ha, ha, guess I'll be going down a size or two! She told someone else that she'll have to give her girls a crash course on housekeeping, "pun intended"!

So it's a great relief that things seem to be going as well as they are.  This day has left me with some memories I will treasure - the time spent with family, especially my niece Brittany and great-niece Janae, and snuggling with Hope's son Brandon on the couch watching football in the waiting room. Brittany shared with me how Hope blessed her with some loving words that she will never forget. I am also amazed and touched by the huge outpouring of prayers and support from so many, many wonderful people.
Janae, Brandon, Brittany
Last I heard, Hope is expected to be moved out of ICU tomorrow and will probably spend about a week in the hospital.

I have never admired my sister more than I do right now. The way she is praising Jesus and giving God the glory reminds me so much of my mother, who praised Him through her five-year cancer ordeal and has been in heaven praising Him since 1973!

No comments: