Thursday, January 17, 2013

Hope Day 5

We are optimists, my sister and I. We are happiest when we look on the bright side. The bright side may not be the realistic side, but I cling to it as long as I can. I feel like my fingers are slipping a little tonight.

Hope is much more concerned about the feelings of others than she is about herself. After talking to family members today, I am pretty sure that she is suffering a lot more than she wants anyone to know. I respect her feelings and never want to write anything here that would dishonor her or be against her wishes, so I am try to be very careful not to share anything that she would not want the world to see. (Well, I admit the picture of her in the hospital bed, wearing her glasses, might have been pushing it! But I wouldn't have shared it if I didn't think that the smiles on her and Brittany's faces were so beautiful!) Anyway, it's possible that some of my reports have been a bit rose-tinged.

She had a very uncomfortable night last night, her arms and fingers don't seem to be improving, and the wheel chair sitting was again extremely painful today. That kind of news breaks my heart.

I have been amazed at the number of people who love Hope and her family. The outpouring of love and prayer that is surrounding them right now from an astounding number of people is an optimist's dream come true!

Gary and Trudy Gregory of Shedd hosted a meeting tonight with other community and church friends to start planning an auction to help pay for the huge medical expenses. This is an excerpt from their daughter's Facebook post today:

" My parents are very close to her and her family. Hope and her family are sooo faithful to God. .... My parents are holding an auction March 2 to help with the medical cost. Any ideas, thoughts, products, or services is appreciated. Please pray/start pray chains. This family would do anything to help someone else. Thanks for all the prayers keep them coming please..."

They have also set up a bank account for medical expenses at Key Bank. Just walk into any Key Bank and tell them you want to deposit to the "Hope Krabill Donation Account".

I would have gone to that meeting tonight, but, poor me, Will and I are about to head off to our very first Maui vacation to celebrate 30 years of marriage. We are catching a very early flight tomorrow, so I'm writing this from a hotel room.

Before you shake your head and scoff at me for being foolish enough to announce to the world that I'm away on vacation, let me just advise any lawless blog readers who might think this is a great opportunity to break into our home and take our worldly goods:
  1. Our house will not be empty. It is now inhabited by a fierce curly-headed giant (and believe me, you don't want to make him mad!), as well as our huge ferocious dog.
  2. Our worldly goods aren't worth the trouble. There is no cash or jewels, our TVs are on the small side, and I have the laptop and camera.
I'm very excited about our trip if not about the timing, and I will savor every blessed healthy moment even more as I think about what Hope is going through I will be keeping her and her family in my prayers, and am thankful that even Hawaii is just a phone call away. I'll be in touch!

Psalm 147:11: The Lord delights in those who fear
him, who put their hope in his unfailing love.

No comments: