Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Hope Day 4

When we got to the hospital today, Hope was getting moved into a wheelchair. It didn't last long because she experienced extreme pain in her neck. They will try again tomorrow. I understand that she needs to be able to get in a wheel chair before she can be released from the hospital and go for a stay at rehab.

Fortunately the pain subsided when she was back in bed, and we enjoyed a nice visit with her, two daughters, Mom and my sister-in-law Carol who came with me. Hope said she is much more comfortable now that she has her good memory foam pillow from home. She is still not able to move her fingers much. Her most constant pain is the "pins and needles" in her forearms and hands. It really bothers her. The neck brace she wears is also quite uncomfortable. We gathered around her bed to pray for her, and I asked if there were any other specific things she wanted us to pray for. She thought for a bit and said, "I really don't have too many complaints." But of course. Yesterday she was really uncomfortable and after she vocalized her problems to sister Jean, she apologized for complaining. Jean told her she figured it was probably ok to complain after three days, and gave her permission to go ahead and complain every third day!

After we prayed together she calmly said, "I feel so much peace. I am resting in Him." And lest you think she must be heavily medicated, she wasn't! I'm so thankful that God is protecting her from the stress of worrying about her situation.

The family is thrilled that daughter Jenna from Virginia gets to come visit this weekend. She called Hope's cell today, which Hope's daughter Janelle answered. "Mom, Jenna wants to know if you're up for giving some advice." Well, of course, Hope was ready to listen to the story of a sick baby and help however she could. You don't stop being a good mom just because you are in bed. 

This morning I read a devotional that contained the following scriptures, and when I read about praising the Lord, Hope immediately came to mind. I printed these on pink paper, mounted them on purple card stock (she loves purple as much as I do!), put it in an 8 x 10 frame for her, wrapped it in purple tissue paper and put it in a lovely purple bag to deliver it to her.  

Praise the Lord, O my soul. I will praise the Lord all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live. 
(Psalm 146:1)

Praise the Lord. How good it is to sing praises to our God, how pleasant and fitting to praise him! (Psalm 147:1)

Praise God in his sanctuary; praise him in his mighty heavens. Praise him for his acts of power; praise him for his surpassing greatness. (Psalm 150:1-2)

Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever. (Psalm 136:1)

It's possible that the determination to praise God through all situations in life leads to the ability to experience his peace and to rest in him through the most difficult circumstances.

Hope is in God's hands, and her hope is in Him.



1 comment:

Elaine Condon said...

enjoying the posts you are sharing about your sister...really liked the verses from Psalms...wishing there was a 'like' button as on face book