Saturday, January 19, 2013

Day 2 in Paradise

It is the eve of my first ever running race......and it's the Maui Oceanfront 15k. I still can't believe that a chubby old lady like me - oh wait, I'm not chubby any more.... Anyway, a year ago I never would have thought I could run five miles, much less 15k (9.3 miles), but it is truly amazing how the body responds when you work it.

My faithful chauffer husband and I took the rental convertible up to Lahaina in the sunshine today and I got my number and t-shirt so I'm all set. The 15k starts at 7:30 a.m. and ends in Lahaina. 

I met a nice lady and her husband at the marathon headquarters who are doing half marathons in all the states, and Hawaii is their 33rd. They were so excited for me to run my first race. She asked me, "What training program did you use?" Training program?  "Uh, well, I just signed up January 1 and I had never run farther than 5 miles, so the next Saturday I went out to see if I could run 15k and I could so..."

"So, you're not running to win?" she asked. Well, ma'am, it would be a sad day for mature womanhood if I was the fastest runner in my age group. But I replied, "No, if I can run the whole thing I'll feel like a winner."  "Well, if you're not running to win, then just take your time and run to enjoy every minute of the race," she gushed. Thank you, I will try to do that. 

And as I run, I will be thinking of and praying for my dear injured sister Hope. When I think the way hard work and consistent exercise have made my body so much stronger and capable of things I couldn't do last year, it gives me great assurance that the physical therapy and God's healing touch can restore her body too. God's design of our bodies is just amazing! But that's another subject.

I leave you with tonight's sunset. No spectacular hues, but beautiful nonetheless.  I have almost overcome the nearly irresistible compulsion to constantly take pictures of palm trees agains the blue sky and deeper blue waters of the Pacific Ocean. 

No comments: