Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Dogsitting Day 6

Not exactly a scenic route, but tonight Zeek and I took a three mile run around the loop where we live. With one trip around the neighborhood only putting  4/10 mile on Runkeeper, it's a bit repetitive, but after dark, the sidewalk, lights and proximity make it my safest option.

First I allowed Zeek to drag me down the road just a little way to his special place. He was urgently feeling nature's call, and I soon gave up shouting "heel" while desperately trying to keep the leash wrapped around my arm to keep him next to me. The risk of it ending with me flat on my face being dragged heedlessly down the road was too great. I figured at least I would set a record blistering pace as he towed me behind him while he galloped down the road in a frenzied rush to do his business. When we stopped and I checked my phone, wouldn't you know I hadn't pressed Start on Runkeeper so my fastest time will be forever unknown. I can go ahead and imagine that we were doing like, maybe a 7 minute mile pace. Yeah right.

When we returned, he still wanted to set much faster pace than I could keep up. I knew his master would be quite unhappy if I allowed Zeek to get in the habit of pulling me along. We had to stop and have a serious chat and do some obedience practice. I am the boss of you, dog! And don't you forget it! After that, with some of his energy burned off, he trotted sedately beside me like a good dog should.

"Good grief, I miss the Old Guy. He never makes me run around in circles. There's not a ditch full of water anywhere to relieve the monotony. Besides, I don't think he'd like it if he knew she was out running around in the dark without him lurking around in the driveway making sure she's safely making her rounds. Oh man, I gotta learn to pace myself. I just can't stop panting."

No comments: