Friday, November 16, 2012

Up, Up and Away!

Here's a blog draft that I just realized I never finished after uploading the photos! I posted some pictures on Facebook and never got back to doing this part. I have a few beloved and far flung family members who aren't on FB, so it is my duty (and privilege!) to share important family events here just for them! (You know who you are!)

On September 14, my brother Doug's wife Anisa and their son Duane got to take a hot air balloon ride, offered as a thank you to farmers (Anisa's dad) who allow the balloonists to land in their fields. I got up bright and early and went to Timber Linn Park to watch as they prepared to launch. It was a gorgeous morning, and excitement was in the air! Anisa, Doug and Duane are standing there making sure the right kind of air fills up the balloon correctly or something like that.
Ready for lift off!
There they go! The proud husband/father/my brother Doug is busily taking pictures in the right foreground!
Such a beautiful sight in the blue early morning sky!

About a dozen other beautiful balloons were taking off as well.
The poor unfortunate souls who were slated for the balloon ride below didn't get to go anywhere that day!
They headed out toward Tangent, and I stopped at home to refill my coffee cup. It was so fun to see their balloon floating by from my patio and to know who was up there! (Look harder, it's that little tiny speck above the trees! It looked closer in person!)
I followed their path and watched them land in a field a few miles down the road.
They had a great time in spite of perhaps a few fears!

The crew and my brother Doug hauled the balloon over near their vehicle.
It slowly drops down as it deflates....
And down....
Down, down!
Will's cousin Juanita was visiting from Idaho, and spectating was very fun and cheap entertainment for all of us!
It was so interesting to watch how they put it away.
They had to sit around awhile to help get out the last bit of air. Duane obliging provided his trademark pose!
They all helped carry it back to the vehicle. It appeared pretty heavy from the gasping and grunting that accompanied it.
Poor Zeek and Belle  (Juanita's dog) had to watch from afar.
I would love to take a hot air balloon ride someday.

No comments: