Friday, November 16, 2012

Life's Little Horrors

I have had some horrifying encounters with rodents in my life. (Though of course, in my opinion, every encounter with a rodent is horrifying.) At times, I have been convinced they were out to get me, like the mouse who hurled itself up toward me when I leaned down to put something in a trash can under the sink, and the ones who have run toward me instead of away from me. EEEEK! But even my worst rodent confrontations pale in comparison to my co-worker's story this morning.

While she was standing at the bathroom sink getting ready for work, a mouse scurried across her bare feet! She admitted to screaming and jumping, but her mother told me she leaped ten feet through the air to stand on the couch and shriek!

This time of year, we often remember our first Thanksgiving dinner here in our new house in 1996, when Tyler spotted a mouse running across our kitchen floor during dinner. Boys and brooms and men went crazy, and the mouse hunt came to a loud and satisfactory conclusion!

I am so very thankful that I have seen no signs of rodents around here since my husband returned from his hunting trip a week ago! Oddly enough, it occurs to me he seemed almost as horrified at my picture blog of Zeek wearing clothing as I become when I see a rodent!


1 comment:

Vivian said...

Hello, I just stopped by and I want to tell someone about my recent rodent experience. I keep my iron skillets in my oven, and one evening when I pulled one out to heat up supper, I noticed some mouse "tracks" IN THE SKILLET! I was so glad I noticed this before I dumped in the hash, and of course I washed all the skillets and SET A TRAP, yes I did, and the next morning there was a dead mouse in it. The good news is that seemed to be the only unauthorized visitor, AND while I was at this business, I moved my stove and cleaned behind it. Found some missing pieces under it, too.