Sunday, November 04, 2012

Dogsitting Day 4

Poor Zeek. Tonight he is not enjoying the pleasure of my company in the house. His hearing seemed to diminish on our run this evening when he ran down into a ditch of water and cavorted in it for as long as he pleased. Wet smelly dogs are not welcome to come roll around on my carpet. Or even to come in my house. Poor Zeek. I guess that's what happens when I brag about how obedient he is.

Today all the boys and a girlfriend came home for dinner and seemed a little concerned when nothing was cooking and I didn't seem to have a plan for what to eat. I told them it depended on what happened in the garage. (Really, I just didn't feel like cooking.) The garage door was open, and they tried to convince me that obviously if there had been anything in there it would have escaped as soon as possible because it would be a nightmare for it to be in there with Zeek. Friendly Zeek, a nightmare? Ha. I assured them that escape opportunities had been available before the peanut butter got cleaned off the trap, and after I set it I closed the door and kept Zeek inside with me until I checked on it. I showed them the corner and the clean trap as well as a new trap to bait since the other one didn't work. I instructed them to close all the doors. move everything out of that corner, and be prepared to destroy any rodents that might dart out.  I adjourned inside the house. Before long they all trooped inside.

They said there was evidence that something had been there. (Or in other words, their crazy old mom hadn't been completely imagining things after all.) A bag of bird seed had been chewed open and a few seeds spilled, but apparently it was not very tasty. The good news, they reported, was that they had Zeek sniff around the corner and follow the trail. He followed the trail all the way outside, so obviously there was no longer any rodent inhabiting the garage.  For a moment I actually believed it. Aren't they sweet boys to make up a story like that to make their mom feel better! I do believe the rodent is gone, because yesterday and today Zeek didn't display as much interest in that corner. But...next time it's pouring buckets of rain outside, will it again lurk under the RV awaiting a chance to dart into the warm shelter of the garage? My carefree days of taking garbage outside in the dark are gone forever! (Oh wait, when this dog sitting is over, I will return to almost never taking the garbage out. Someone completely spoils me and usually takes it out before I even have a chance!)

I took my rodent hunters to Panda Express for lunch, where we sat outside and enjoyed the balmy 74 degree day. Three of us got to sit pretty close to each other, because the chairs were cable locked to the table. I asked an employee if they could unlock them and was informed that only corporate had the key. Good thing we love each other. While eating, I asked if the trap I baited had been set correctly. They informed me that it had not, and all I had done was present free food to the intruder. I couldn't believe it. I tried so hard to follow the diagram. They didn't understand it either, after all it comes with a diagram. Well, the diagram was awfully tiny and kinda fuzzy. Very difficult to decipher. I'm just proud that I didn't pinch my fingers in it while trying to set it. I'd hate to see the damage that could do to a nail!

No comments: